Re: BS Protest (sorry it's long)

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BS Protest (sorry it's long)
From: "Dan Bettis" <140mhZ24@isoc.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:44:54 -0400
> OK, if I understand the geometry correctly (keeping in mind I've never
actually
> examined a Miata shock up close) what was going on was that Katie's car
had a
> deformed (from age/use, not malicious intent) suspension bushing, and she
had
> changed the spring perch height to either raise the car back to stock ride
> height (assuming the deformed bushing lowered the car - so she was trying
to be
> fair) or to lower the car back to stock ride height (assuming the deformed
> bushing raised the car - so she was trying to correct a defect)
>
> Is this at all correct?
>
> Because if it is, it sounds to me like perhaps the protest comittee made a
> mistake. The spring perch height on aftermarket shock must be at the same
> distance from the end of the shock (plus or minus any tolerences in the
rules)
> as on the stock shock. If Katie's spring perch was in fact in the "wrong"
> groove, then the car should have been found illegal.

I think almost all bushing will be deformed by the load they see from the
traction generated from the R tires.  OEM bushing are so soft also if they
are not deformed then I have to wonder what is going on.  I think the height
should be measured from the center of the eye if there is one on a shock. To
the top or the perch or grove.  Just my .02 cents worth after having to
located the heights on a Miata shocks.  I think that would be a easiest way
to make it clear.

Dan Bettis
Predator Motorsports
92 Z24 24 STU best et 15.27@86.8mph   6.85 0-60