RE: Hyperloud Anything

To: "'Scott Meyers'" <solo2@uswest.net>, "Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hyperloud Anything
From: Phil Osborne <posborne@minuteman-ups.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:45:23 -0500
Ok, the RX-7 in question is particularly loud.  The owner has made attempts
to quiet the car, and it does have a muffler...According to him, muffler
material does not last long due to the extreme exhaust heat, and
subsequently they burn out.  Also according to him, there IS a muffler that
will last longer, at a cost of 1500 bucks!
We in Texas Region really don't have a problem with the noise level as long
as we are running rurally, such as at the Mineral Wells site.  That car
does in fact create a bit of hysteria when we do events in Bedford at
Pennington Field.  However, the highest reading I have seen on our
decimeter, which was a couple of years ago, was only .95 from that car.  We
have had Formula Fords read higher than that...
I believe each region should set their own noise level tolerance, as long
as it does not exceed local jurisdiction levels.  This will obviously vary
from site to site.  Yes, the car is obnoxiously loud and it goes like stink
but at our regional events, no rules are broken.  Further, I doubt we would
send a visiting driver packing due to noise without first allowing him an
attempt to reduce it.  Rocky's "beer can" suggestion would work as a
temporary fix...

Phil O.
Texas Region SCCA