Also Re: Fehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Also Re: Fehn/Butler hyperloud RX-7
From: NASA-VA Jon Felton <nasa-va@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:38:50 -0400
Loud in grid, Ha!  How about Club Racing?

Picture being anywhere near the paddock, the
grid, or the track during an ITA race.  Picture about
30 of those RX-7's going by at about 8000 rpm in
3rd gear.  Ouch!

The legal limit at Summit Point is 103db but those
who are above it weld a 90 degree "turn pipe" on
their muffler tip, to point the sound away from the
sound meter!

I agree, loud rotaries are obnoxious.  Cheap and
fast and fun, of course, but definitely obnoxious.

Jon
(Crew Chief for an obnoxiously loud E Production
RX-7 in SCCA club racing... 102db with a muffler
AND a turn pipe...yikes!)