Re: Combining classes

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Combining classes
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:36:11 -0500

"Glen E. Thompson" wrote:

> I think John makes a good point here about too many classes.  Smaller
> regions, of which Blue Ridge Region is one, suffers from class dilution.
> In our last event we had 76 entrants.  John was one of two EP entries.  We
> had 15 classes run, AS-GS, SS, ASP, CSP, DSP, ESP, CP, EP, and EM.

Your events sound similar to ours in both size and diversity.
Regionally, you have to do whatever works.  It's hard to justify
combining existing National classes based on your regional situation.
If we combined classes based on what shows up here in Wichita, DS and CS
would probably be combined, as would AS and SS.  ASP & BSP.  Most
Prepared classes.  All the mod classes.

This wouldn't fly Nationally.

> Add street tire classes and just about everyone ends up bumped.

How's that?  If anything, adding the ST classes might get rid of some of
those single-car classes.  Give them another place they can go with
their car to find some competition without either getting another car or
having to prepare their car beyond their desired level.  I think you're
assuming that EVERYONE is going to want to run in an ST class, and
that's just not true.

> Personally, I'd like to see more classes combined to provide more depth to
> a class.  Running in CS, the only cars I ever see are MR2s (usually
> Jonathan Roberts which makes my life hard) and the occasional Porsche.  In
> 1/3 of out events, I end up bumped to BS.  At one event a couple of years
> ago I ended all the way in AS.

You have the option to do just that in your region.  You can create your
own unique classes, combine classes, follow the bumping order, or... as
we do here, allow single cars to run in class if they so choose.
Remember, basically the only parts of the rule book that are "mandatory"
at the Regional level are the safety guidelines.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca