Re: ST my opinion (sorta long winded)

To: <rjconrad@fwi.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST my opinion (sorta long winded)
From: "BPS Administrator" <mhood@busprod.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:36:50 -0500
This was probably about 4-5 years ago, so they may have changed since then.
I'm getting redy to purchase some in about a month, so I guess I'll find
out. Also for the other part of this thread about r-tires on the street and
thier longevity, I really think it depends on the car and of course how they
are driven. I ran some new BFG r-1's on the street on a karmann ghia and got
about 10k miles out of them. My current tires on my GTi are Eagle GA's which
are either 280 or 300. I got them brand new for free on a new set of 99
Wolfsburg Jetta that I purchased from the dealership. I have a little autox,
rallycross and alot of spirited street driving and about 10k on them. They
are less than 2/32nd's now. The ghia had nice 4 wheel drift and seemed
pretty easy on the tires where as my GTi oversteers very graciously with the
slightest amount of throttle lift in addition to having enough torque to
spin both fronts while cornering if you don't roll on the gas just right.
Basically if you aren't perfectly smooth you can ruin a set of tires very
quickly in this car. I'm sure someone driving a fast ESP car very spirtedly
on the street would tear them up even quicker, being heavier and having so
many ponies under the hood too :)

-Mike