Ultra Loud Silver RX-7

To: autocross list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ultra Loud Silver RX-7
From: Mosso <mosso@pcmagic.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:39:11 -0700
Being the cause of some sound related issues for the Cal Club region I'd
like to offer a couple points:

1) Sound restrictions are necessary so we can attract and keep solo2
sites.  The proper sound limit is one low enough so that nearby
residents don't complain, and you can continue to hold events at that
site.

2) Rules must be in place to regulate the sound level, perhaps not on a
National level, but at the regional level where the people have the
knowledge of how noise sensitive each location is.  San Diego is a great
example, they have set rules in writing, they know their rules, and they
enforce their rules.  When I had a National Tour run disqualified for
93.1 dBa when the limit was 93.0 there was no one to blame but myself, I
knew the rules.

3) Rotaries and karts are annoying, V8s (or V10s) sound sweet.  A nearby
resident likely to complain about automotive noises doesn't know the
difference. They are annoyed by loud sounds. It was a sweet sounding
Vette (probably at 92dBa) that contributed to the loss of the Rose Bowl
site.

4) Sound limits less than 93 dBa are very difficult to achieve.  I've
watched a sound meter exceed 93dBa due to the PA system.  Do you hold an
event without a PA system?

5) Rotaries are very sensitive to back pressure, much more so than
piston engines. If you want to make HP with a N.A. rotary it will be
loud. I have an exhaust configuration that measures about 88dBa (San
Diego method), all it costs is about 25 HP.  I've spent countless hours
investigating different exhaust system designs, looking for that elusive
low back pressure but very quiet setup.  At this point I'm investigating
what it would take to build a custom muffler myself, I've got some
ideas....... Anyone know where I could buy a small quantity of
perforated 304 stainless?

I'll always show up with an exhaust configuration that will pass the
rules, just let me know the rules (in advance) .

Bob Mosso
'81 CSP RX-7