Re: Reservations???

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reservations???
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:00:39 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>

> John Lye wrote:
>
> <<<In that last five years, I have run exactly one WDC region event
> because they have started to allow pre-registration and the slots are
> all full most of the year.  So, I run events with the Blue Ridge region
> and a non-SCCA club in Richmond.  The DC region keeps telling folks "to
> give Solo II a try" in their newsletter, but then there are no slots for
> them to enter the event.  Sorry, but I'm not going to drive three hours
> to the event site to get put on waiting list!>>>

And Paul continues:

> You got to be kidding me! This is truly sick! Now I'm _very_ glad that
> SFR decided to use SCCA membership to keep the autocross entrants in
> check in the late 80s when the turnout was so large (sometimes over
> 250). How many do they allow?

Wouldn't work here -- the WDC Region is only one of about a half-dozen or so
clubs which take turns running events in the series.  I suppose they could
mandate membership in any one of the Metro Washington Council clubs, but
that seems sort of counterproductive if you're trying to attract new bodies.
I seem to remember SFR turnouts got pretty low (by previous standards) in
the early '90s, which led to the rookie program to attract more people, so
I'm not sure that "members only" events are the way to go.  The system used
here is different (from *anywhere* else I've ever run), but it works, and
events are growing.

As far as how many -- events are normally broken up into 4-5 heats of 25-30
cars each, which is about the largest grid possible at the two sites we use
the most.  Usually around 120 cars right now -- which begins to stress the
paddock space, too.  The *biggest* site I've seen used here isn't as big as
the space next to the museum at McClellan.

Jamie (probably the eastern-most SFR ex-pat)
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr