Re: AP - Still Another Tangent

To: George Ryan <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: AP - Still Another Tangent
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:16:46 -0700
George Ryan wrote:

>(How many of the other responders are actually
> involved in this class?)

Doesn't matter so much as you assume. It's relevant to anyone who has
considered building a Prepared car (I have, but I'm not gonna do it
now).

> If the powers-to-be would only give us FP back (as has
> been promised and given lip service for years now,

FP has only been combined with AP for three years. How many "years" has
the alleged lip service been given? It can't possibly be very many.

> Let's look at the "old FP".

What's this about? The car that won AP this year would be in FP if you
got what you're asking for. So would (probably) the car that came in
second. How much could restoring FP posssibly do to improve over what
happened this year?

> I don't even find it strange that all the AP protests this year
> were by drivers that came from the old FP class cars. They,
> IMO are in a fight for equality, and the 914-6 or RX-7 that
> the protestors were driving WERE outclassed by an RSR
> powered by a race prepared 3.8.

Irrelevant. See above. You'd STILL have to run against those cars (911s
were all in FP before the classes were combined).

> I know these guys, I think
> they may have been protesting the rules, and the classing,
> more than they were the drivers or the particular car.

If that's so, I think there are far more effective ways to make that
point. But that's just me.

> Congratulations to the Fordahl's. You have simply used the
> same rules that I have for years to get into Prepared (a 2.3
> Quad 4 in a Fiero - legal in GT-2), and done so legally. You
> have driven this legal-by-the-rules car extremely well, and you
> have justly earned your title.

We are in complete agreement here.

Jay