Re: AP - Still Another Tangent

To: "Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AP - Still Another Tangent
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 06:15:31 -0500
I have, of course, followed this thread with much interest,
addressing it initially because AP is where I am currently
classed. (How many of the other responders are actually
involved in this class?)

We must take in mind the direction that the SEB/PAC are
taking the Prepared classes. In Y2K, Pcars do not have to
meet any production numbers, nor do they have to be
approved by the guru's in Washington for import (thus the
gray/black market cars are approved), and kit cars are OK
in the same class as the cars they clone (with some other
restrictions).

Keeping in mind the RSR meets all the rules this year,
before the gray/black market and kit allowances, I am
afraid this is just the tip of the iceberg, especially in AP
(which seems to have become  a catch-all class anyway).

I don't have a tilt with the direction that the Prepared classes
in general are headed (and AP in particular). I simply feel
the original FP cars do not stack up to the AP standards of
today, and most definately will not to the standards of Y2K
and beyond, given this new direction.

If the powers-to-be would only give us FP back (as has
been promised and given lip service for years now, but never
seems to happen), I believe some degree of order could be
restored to the Prepared classes.

Let's look at the "old FP". The suspensions on the RX-7's, Datsun/Nissan
family, 914's, Fiero's, and even the Sunbeams
and Cobra's were fairly primitive compared to the newer cars.
While I don't personally feel the V8's belonged in FP, at least
there was the suspension commanality.With the exception of
the V8's, the engine size and potential is similar in the old FP,
these are all older cars, and are of about the same weights. In
one letter to the SEB, I suggested the Corvair might even
belong here, based on the above considerations.

I don't even find it strange that all the AP protests this year
were by drivers that came from the old FP class cars. They,
IMO are in a fight for equality, and the 914-6 or RX-7 that
the protestors were driving WERE outclassed by an RSR