Re: ST tire options (Toyo RA-1)

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: ST tire options (Toyo RA-1)
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:13:42 -0400

> > I haven't removed my Toyo RA-1's from the car in over a year. They are
>getting
> > a little scary in the rain though.
>
> I've heard those are pretty decent for a "streetable" R-tire, too.  But
> also heard exactly what you said, they get a little scary in the rain as
> they wear, and they still have a lot of usable tread.

Mine are only scary as their is no tread left. They are actually a very good
rain tire especially when new and unshaved.

> > I do drive the car on the street quite often
> > and to events without changing as well.
>
> This doesn't sound like a daily driver.  That's what I'm talking about.
> If you had ONE car, and had to drive it EVERY DAY, would you feel
> comfortable leaving these tires on the car from spring until fall?

Why would you only have one car?:-) Actually I drive it everywhere except to
work and in the winter. The other car always seems to have snow tires on it.

> > It's mainly just the Hoosiers and BFG-s that wear and heat cycle too quickly
> > that you don't want to street drive.
> > As for being competitive, did anyone try Toyo's at Nationals?
>
> Linhoff did... too bad he's not around to talk about it any more.

They seem to do quite well up here in Canada, they are quite a popular choice.
Obviously not as fast as Hoosiers but they don't wear like them either.

Burl Vibert