Re: X-Post!! What a difference one corner can make!!

To: Rex Weatherford <rweatherford@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: X-Post!! What a difference one corner can make!!
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:37:49 -0500
At 07:19 PM 9/29/99 , Rex Weatherford wrote:
>This is a movie of me and my co-driver Andy Vanwie.
>
>I am the one with the watch on my right arm.  Andy's movie is a little
>dimmer than mine.  You can see that the last corner on this course cost
>me a full second!  We are almost identical all the way through.
>
>http://www.beretta.net/fast_lane/movies/compare.mov
>
>We start at the same time but end a full second behind.

Very slick!  And a very interesting educational tool for autox...

I assume you took two separate movies, sync'd the starts, and
then used some tool to mix the two.  Care to share how you did it?

And, at least for me, the mix makes it easy to see small differences,
but its often hard to follow the bigger ones -- which cone goes with
which driver.  Have you tried a similar compare by putting the sync'd
videos side-by-side?  In fact, three side-by-side frames, a driver on
each side and the mix in the middle may be the best of both worlds.
Or perhaps by yellowing one movie or the other before mixing such
that the lines, cones, and drivers shirts are clearly different colors?

Anyone else do similar high-tech stuff for analyzing runs with video?
(Some of those bizarre editing features on my mini-DV camera have just
found some possible uses!  Both my autox and techie sides are psyched!)

Cool stuff,

Brian