Re: C4 Vette

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: C4 Vette
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:45:16 -0400
                >Dennis wrote:
                > I think a C4 with the right driver and properly
                >prepared is probably still competitive in SS.
                >I'd bet Erik S. could win in one.

Quite a few great Vette drivers switched to RX7s for a reason.
Some of these drivers, like Thomason and Kotzian, are obviously
drivers of the highest caliber.  The C4 can trophy in SS (obviously),
but can it win?  Probably not.

                >>Dennis added:
                >>So you tend to see the top drivers in the best cars
                >>that pay money to win - not necessarily the best cars
                >>period. Neon, Miata, RX-7, Type-R... see the pattern?

The best drivers will pick the best cars for the class.  When
the Corvette was winning nationals, Chevrolet was not paying
any contingency money to attract drivers.  If Buick offered
$100,000 in contingency money to anyone who won Nationals
in a Regal Grand National in F Stock, I doubt you'd see the FS
grid full of Regals - although you may see more than you do now ;-)
Neons aside, contingency money is certainly nice but not enough to
substantially change what people will drive -- unless they had an
interest in driving that particular car anyway, e.g. RX-7, Miata,
Type R.

Kent Rafferty