Re: SWAY BARS????

To: "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>, "Isley, Jason C." <JIsley@cell1.com>
Subject: Re: SWAY BARS????
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:56:02 -0400
> It seems like this rule is a little outdated, as now a large number
> of our cars drive from the wrong end...lol How do the rest of the front
> drivers feel? I would bet some Neon guys would love to have a 1" rear bar.

I completely understand what you're saying.  Sure, you can change the front
sway bar in a front driver.  That means you can either go for something
bigger, which will make the car plow like a pig even more than stock; or
something smaller, which may balance the handling, but causes more body
roll.  Not to mention that, to me, it makes no sense to DOWNGRADE part of
your car for competition purposes.  It doesn't make sense to the
aftermarket, either - that's why you don't see a flood of stock-legal tiny
front sway bars for front drivers.

The argument, of course, is that if you want to fiddle with your rear sway
bar, give Street Touring a try.  It's legal there, plus many of the other
low cost, big-bang-for-the-buck mods you can make to a small sport compact
(intake, larger diameter rims, etc.)  Part of the point of stock class is to
leave the cars stock and see how they do against each other in stock form.
Of course, the success of that intention can be argued, considering the
effects some stock-legal mods can have, but that's a topic for another
thread. :)

    - Justin
      95 Saturn SC2 "Locutus"
      ST (cuz I wanna play with intakes and rear sway bars) :)