Re: FS: 13x8 rims and Hoosiers

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FS: 13x8 rims and Hoosiers
From: Randy Walters <RandyWal@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:19:10 -0700
 allen t skillicorn <loudes13@juno.com> wrote:

>I have 4 brand new 13x8 Diamond Racing wheels wrapped in brand new ( only
>scuffed ) 225/50/13 Hoosier radials.  I bought the rims in May, and the
>tires in April.  The tires still have the holographic tread and a few
>mold nubs left.

>The rims have a 4x100 bolt pattern and 5.5" backspacing.  They were made
>to fit a Honda, but they will fit Mazda's, and VW's perfectly and probaly
>a few more.

 Well you can take the VWs off the list of cars they'll fit - FWD Volkswagens
can tolerate no more than 5" of backspacing max.  Any more than that and
the tires will rub the rear springs (A1 chassis) or rear trailing arm (A2
chassis)
and a wheel with 5.5" backspace won't even get close to bolting up on the rear.

The front has a little more room,  but 5.5" backspace might just result in the
tire rubbing the front strut tube.  But they're definitely too deep for the rear
on the FWD VWs.  On the 93+ A3 chassis,  the brakes are larger and 13"
wheels won't even clear the calipers.  And the A4 chassis are all 5-lug....

 Randy
 VW Guy