Re: 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout

To: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>, "Chris Marsh" <cmarsh90@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 22:02:17 -0600
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>

>> I haven't driven one of these things but checked one out and noticed that
>> essentially the entire engine sits forward of the front axle, seems to me
>> weight distribution on this thing might not be so good.
>
>That's a layout common to just about every transverse-engine front-driver
>ever made --

Just about.

>and unless someone figures out how to put the exhaust header
>and the transaxle on the same side of the engine,

That does not matter.  There is nothing to prevent a sidewinder crossflow
setup with the intake on the front and the exhaust on the rear.  The
differential can be on the front side of the setup, moving the engine aft.
And who figured that it was a good idea to waste space under the engine on
exhaust pipes anyway?  Keeping all that heat away from the CV boots seems a
better idea to me.

Heck, several French cars (one often mistaken for a Maser (did you see "The
Longest Yard"?)) have put longitudinal engines aft of the differential.  In
earlier times, Miller and Cord built FWD cars this way. Makes sense to me.
Better mass distribution.  Better handling.  There was/is a Sonett funny car
whith that layout rattling around these parts.

Why don't they build sidewinder FWD cars that way?  Space efficiency.
Unlike classic sports cars, most FWD cars are designed to give lots of
footroom up front while keeping the wheelbase short.  I'd rather have a car
with a longer hood, very little of it ahead of the front wheels.

I know that I have had several FWD (SAAB sedans and Sonett) and AWD cars (VW
Quantum Syncro) with the longitudinal engine hanging out in front of the
front wheels.  But I still prefer to keep the heavy bits inside the
wheelbase if feasible.  I won't be trading the Europa for a rear-engine car
any time soon.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/