Re: 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2000 Celica GT-S & FWD layout
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:32:01 EST
Several other people and then Phil Ethier wrote:
>>> I haven't driven one of these things but checked one out and noticed that
>>> essentially the entire engine sits forward of the front axle, seems to me
>>> weight distribution on this thing might not be so good.
>>
>>That's a layout common to just about every transverse-engine front-driver
>>ever made --
>
>>and unless someone figures out how to put the exhaust header
>>and the transaxle on the same side of the engine,
>
>That does not matter.  There is nothing to prevent a sidewinder crossflow
>setup with the intake on the front and the exhaust on the rear.  The
>differential can be on the front side of the setup, moving the engine aft.

In the US market, see a Lancia Beta or Lancia Zagato (1976-1982).  Most have
long since rusted away, but they came with a twincam engine reclined 20
degrees behind the transaxle, intake manifold in front, exhaust manifold in
rear.

George "I'm still building an EP Lancia Scorpion" Emery
gemery@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/gemery