Re: Let's draft a revised C&C! (was: Re: Shift knobs/C&C (was:

To: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>, msirota@isc.upenn.edu,
Subject: Re: Let's draft a revised C&C! (was: Re: Shift knobs/C&C (was:
From: Eric Moon <info@scca-susq.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:31:27 -0400
At 07:20 AM 6/6/00 -0700, Arthur Emerson wrote:

>Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu> wrote:
>>
>>It isn't end of story until there's something in the rules or
>>in the official clarifications.
>
>So, rather than sit here and complain to each other about
>the ambiguity, why don't we form an independent C&C task force
>to debate/draft a proposed replacement???  DG made up a whole
>new class this way, and he's not even 'mericun! :-)  There's
>no reason why we can't get one stinking paragraph changed
>in the 2001 rule book.  It's only June!

This is a good idea.
Let's just be careful that we don't end up with a new class like "KnobMod"
or something else silly like that ;-)

>>I still think my interpretation of C&C (the one that analyzes
>>the motive behind the modification) is the only reasonable one, although I
>>admit it's rather difficult (impossible?) to write
>>motive into the rules.
>
>My interpretation of the C&C rule is to allow mods like
>cupholders, foglights, stereos, gauges, and other things
>that the driver will not interface with on a Solo-II course.
>If the driver interfaces with it, whether it is seats,
>steering wheel, pedals, pedal covers, shift knob, and
>aftermarket dead pedals, it's not a C&C item.  I don't
>have my book handy, but I seem to recall something in
>writing that you couldn't put blocks onto the pedals
>for shorter drivers.  You also can't modify the seats
>to install harnesses or accomodate the height-impaired.
>Their only recourse is pillows and/or removable padding on
>the original seat.  If these items aren't C&C, why should
>aftermarket pedal covers and shift knobs be???

There's one that I have a problem with---Gauges!
Yes, you don't "physically" interface with a gauge, BUT a larger, easier to
read tach can be very beneficial to certain drivers depending on seat
position and the stock tach placement, size and coloration.  Heck, I'm sure
there are some base model cars out there that don't even have a tach to
begin with---wouldn't adding one that you didn't have in the first place be
extremely beneficial?  I think so!  A lot more so than a fancy leather MOMO
knob or a polished aluminum Voodoo!

Let's really weigh the benefits of items individually when considering them
for the C&C list.

Eric Moon
Co-Driver - Kosher Rice Racing G Stock '00 Acura Type R
'92 Miata - Taking a Year off for R&D
e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com
pager:         7173297074@mobile.att.net
Appalachian Sports Car Club   www.scca-susq.com