Re: BS Car Classing

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BS Car Classing
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 17:27:56 -0400
People are jumping to the conclusion that the 2001 Miata will be an overdog
in BS.  It may end up being true, and with an extra 15 hp it even sounds
likely, but we really don't know yet, do we?  Besides the extra hp, the car
is supposed to have more comfortable seats (probably heavier) and more
standard features (power windows, locks, cruise, etc.), so there may be
extra weight to go with that extra power.  Also, the extra 15 hp is a result
of variable valve timing, so the car might be even more of a torqueless dog
at low revs, which could hurt autox performance.

Even if the 2001 Miata is faster, I can't envision it going anywhere but BS.
Hopefully, the MR2 Spyder and the Miata will be evenly matched.  Then the
MR2 Supercharged needs to get moved to BS (the specs look like a BS car to
me).  Then maybe BS won't be a spec class any longer.

Brad Burns
'99 Miata