Re: BS Car Classing

To: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>, "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BS Car Classing
From: "Jeffrey Lloyd" <jeff@cyberconceptz.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:08:45 -0700
I thought I have been prooving It was not a spec class

The Z3 1.9 can compete Regionally, Mabye even nationally but it gives a new
meaning to best of breed, since you NEED to have a late 96 model to be able
to get the limited slip AND the trunk mounted battery, granted a creative
builder could move the battery using factory parts in an earlier car,, or
add a limited slip and bring a later car to '96 specs...  BMW stopped
offering the LSD here in 97 because the US had very little demand for this
option...

with it's more torque and bigger rubber it can compete on tighter courses
that emphsize Cornering NOT TRANSISTIONING...  I can out corner a BS miata
anyday, but I cannot transision like those nimble little buggers... If they
outlawed slaloms I might be able to compete nationally. :-P

also the '96 is quite a bit lighter then the later ones because the later
ones were modified to accept the 2.8l 6cyl.. and Got HEAVIER. Bracing, roll
hoops larger radiatior, extra fan ect..

My late 96 with LSD and trunk mounted battery, hoosiers and 10lb wheels,
everything that can be legally removed (minus the radio/amp/speakers) is a
tick under 2580lbs, almost dry, later ones can go as high as 2700or 2800lbs

If I can find manual seats I might be able to strip 20 or so lbs, but they
only sold a handful in the US with cloth manual seats...

ESP could learn a little bit about "limit of the rules" from my car :-)

Jeff Lloyd

for now.. The worlds fastest non miata in BS  now If I can just get the
shocks sorted out and if hoosier will ever make a 245/40/16 I should be able
to get a few more 10ths out of her.. at least according to mAs