Tools online?

To: autox@autox.team.net, gunther@magetower.com
Subject: Tools online?
From: "Murray, Matthew D." <MDMURRAY@gwns.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 03:30:00 -0400
This was from February 1999. Matt Murray

> I was on this quest a year ago, and with some help from the team.netizens,
> I narrowed down the contenders to the Hitachi 12V WH12DK ($217 at
Berlands)
> and the Makita 12V 6911HDW ($232 at Berlands).  I drove to Chicago and
tried
> these units out in the lot to decide which one to get.  I torque my wheels
> to 90 ft-lb, and both wrenches could remove and install the nuts to that
> torque.  They would not budge nuts that were overtorqued a lot more than
that
> (by the dealer or tire shop).  So, on the basis of ergonomics, I chose the
> Makita.  Its reversing switch is intuitive, and easy to switch with the
> thumb.  The balance is better, and the tool is more compact.  The handle
is
> more comfortable.  Quality has been perfect.  I've talked to some other
> autocrossers using this wrench, and they were happy with it, too.
>
> Some info about Berland's:  They had the best price and availability, and
it
> was a fun place to visit.  Their slogan may be true: "If Berland's doesn't
> have it, are you sure you need it?"  Their number is 1-800-339-0026.
> Home page:
> http://www.thetoolman.com/index.html
> Cordless impact page:
> http://www.thetoolman.com/cgi-bin/shopper/berlnk/tools/cit.html
>
> In retrospect, the impact is a little hard on the nuts and studs, so I
> don't often use it to its full capacity.  Instead, I use the cross wrench
> to break them loose, then spin them off or on with the Makita.  I could
> accomplish this with a much cheaper cordless drill.  On the other hand, I
am
> getting ready to buy solid stainless McGard nuts, and they should stand up

> the impact better.  Not to mention I'm going to start using impact sockets
> instead of 12-point hand sockets.  Then I will be more comfortable using
it
> to break the nuts loose.  The weak link then will be the studs, which I
don't
> want to fatigue to failure, so I think I'll still break 'em loose by hand,
> except when I'm concerned about getting heat stroke.  Then, its power and
> speed all the way, baby!
> --
> Jeffrey D. Blankenship
I finally broke down and purchased a dedicated set of wheels and tires for
autocrossing (no more street tire class for me), so now I'm on the hunt for
a cordless impact wrench for use in swapping wheels/tires at the events.

My questions are:

1) What models of impact wrenches are you vets familiar with (or more
importantly - happy/satisfied with)?

and

2) Is there a good source 'online' for purchasing said piece of equipment?

As I live about 100 miles from the closest thing that could be described as
a 'town', I'm hoping to be able to get something online.

Thanks for your help,

Brian Weikert
FS.. err..  ESP Mustang