Kumho 712 vs RE-730 vs RE-71

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Kumho 712 vs RE-730 vs RE-71
From: David Disney <disney7@icx.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 18:15:53 -0400
I have always been a big fan of the Bridgestone RE-71
as a high-performance street tire. They are cheap, pretty
sticky, have stiff sidewalls, etc. I have also been dreading
the day when Bridgestone stopped making them.

Can anyone tell me how the new RE-730 and/or the
Kumho 712 stack up against the RE-71?

If you look at the treadwear ratings:

Bridgestone RE-71       140
Bridgestone RE-730      300
Kumho 712               280 (ZR rating)

I know there are other factors, and that
it differs some between manufacturers, but treadwear
rating has always appeared (to me) to be quite
related to grip...

Are these newer generation of tires actually able to
grip as well or better and still last considerably longer?

In the past, I have pretty much laughed at anyone
trying to sell me a "high performance" tire with a
300 treadwear rating.

As you can probably guess, I'm in the market for
a new set of street rubber for my car ('93 Rx-7) and
knowing the return policy for tires (non-existent) I
don't want to buy something that I'll hate for
25k miles.

       - Dave Disney