Re: please don't squeeze the kumhos

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: please don't squeeze the kumhos
From: Jeff Lloyd <Jeff@cyberconceptz.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2000 18:41:04 -0700
Thanks Andy but I guess my question goes deeper then that..

my main point is it necessarily faster for me to go with a bigger heavier tire..

both pirelli and hoosier offer a 205/45/16
which is 1.5" smaller in diameter, since acceleration is so important in soloII
 is it worth the gearing change to loose 2" in tread width

Pirelli does offer a 225/45/16 which is only .9"
narrower but also .6" smaller in diameter..

I know a small hot sticky tire is supposed to be better then a big cold tire,
but what is best for a pro solo, vs. a soloII course..

I'm confused if the additional tire width is worth the extra heat/gearing I
will get.. I know on a front heavy FWD car things are different also..

The local miata guys proved this to me running 195 K tires vs. 205/225 since
these seem to be faster..

my question what is the ultimate size for soloII or does it differ from surface
to surface?...

If bob Tunnell says 245 is about as big as he will go on his 2900lb M3 (and
that's hoosiers) then I think 205-225 is best for my 2500 lb Z3..

and Pat Salerno told me the 245/45/16 kumho was faster on his heavy Camaro, so
their might be a method to this madness, since I'm sure both those guys know
what they are talking about..

and I know that on the smaller local stuff when I was running the old 230 R-1's
the 225's were faster on my car, for the fact alone of keeping them hot. I've
pretty much been running 245 hoosiers ever since, I felt the softer compound
could let me run a wider tire, and it seems to work ok..

Help I'm Confused on what to do for this weekends pro

Jeff Lloyd