AYER in review, rollover, congrats, thanks

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: AYER in review, rollover, congrats, thanks
From: "HEYWARD WAGNER" <h_kenyon@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:28:27 -0400
OK, lets start with the big fire.... Yes, an HS 89 Mercury Tracer was rolled
on Saturday morning.  The result was a change in the course and EM and HS
started over having completed 2.5 runs.  Those who did not see the rollover
have constructed some elaborate theories on how it might have happened.  I
was sitting in the "next to go" spot when it happened, here is what I saw,
and what the driver was able to tell me.  First, stock shocks and Hoosiers
on an 89 Tracer is a bad combination.  The maneuver was a set of off set
walls (I was entering the walls on the rev-limited and not breaking, entry
speed of close to 55mph) he lost it in the first turn in (to the right) and
really lost it going back left.  This sent him into a spin toward the start
line, the timing lights, and van and a Spitfire sitting on the line.  I
spoke with the driver later and he told me that his primary concern was not
hitting anything and that is why he fought it so long.  The car spun to the
right, corrected left, the tires hooked and he went "gently" over on to his
roof.  The only injury was a result of a stiff armed attempt to stop the car
from going over.  The safety folks decided that the course needed a chance,
for the sake of insurance it was a good call, but it was not a dangerous
course for 99% of the cars out there.  The combination of a high speed right
left, a new driver, and way too much tire for the car caused the accident,
but none of these factors are to be faulted.  There fact is, this guy is
new, and when given the opportunity to pick up so cheap used tires he took
it.  It is unfair to blame him because his tire budget forced him into a
dangerous situation.  Secondly, it is not the fault of the course designer,
this area was flat out for HS and a major breaking zone for FS, some cars go
faster in some places.  Thirdly, the drivers primary concern, once the car
was out of control, was to not hit anyone, there is no fault to be found in
that.  As a side note, had it not happened, and the HS results has stood,
Cliff Strout would have won the class....

Other thoughts....

Tim Aro, super nice guy, won BS by a second in a 94 Miata R.  That is one
hell of a drive, Congrats!!

CS is way to fast and close, nice work Doug.....

Thank you to Chang Ho Kim for putting on a great event, and still having the
time to help a bunch of southerners find a Honda junkyard and answer some
Civic Fuel pressure questions... (No team underdog can not make it through a
weekend without breaking something)

Speaking of breaking.... Scott Minehart (13) was faster than most of the CM
and FM cars on Saturday in his Junior Cart and turned a faster time than any
stock car (to my knowledge), the chain broke on Sunday and he got no times,
but the kid was flying Saturday.  For those of you who do not know, while
Scott does enjoy, or suffer from full team underdog support, he built that
cart himself, when the bugs get worked out look out Mod cars!

Finally thanks to Ginna Blair for putting up with two days of team underdog!

Heyward K. Wagner
TEAM UNDERDOG RACING
Honda Civic Si - HS #48
www.teamunderdog.com
IMPACT GRAPHICS
Custom Automotive Graphics - Numbers - Magnetics - Static Cling
1-877-945-7446