Re: Ayer Tour

To: Jkinser77@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ayer Tour
From: Mari L Clements <mrndr2@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:10:08 -0400
On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:18:04 EDT Jkinser77@aol.com writes:
> I heard a car rolled in HS-a tracer and a guy pretty new.

Yes, it did.  The car didn't look as bad as you might expect (dented
hood, broken windshield).  In fact, we followed it out Sunday and Eric
had to ask if that were the one that rolled.

I *heard* that it had the original factory shocks (with 100K+ miles on
them) and Hoosier tires.  I also *heard* that the driver was 19, pretty
green, tried to save it several times, and the last time just couldn't
catch it.  I also heard that the driver had hurt his wrist, but didn't
hear an update.  I *didn't* see it because I was running on the opposite
course at the same time, but I *know* that the course was changed after
the incident.

Now, we're all going to hash this to death (again), and there's plenty to
be learned from our discussions, no doubt, but there are several standard
arguments in these cases.  Here they are (starting with the one my
account is vulnerable to):

1)  You didn't see it; how dare you comment?  (This is usually used for
folks not at the event commenting, but since there were two separate
courses this time separated by quite a distance, it can apply to folks
there, too.)
2)  Race tires are evil.  We should ban them in stock classes (or on high
COG/narrow/FWD cars).
3)  Course designers aren't designing safe enough courses.
4)  Safety stewards aren't policing safety enough.
5)  All Ayer National Tour participants are responsible, because we all
should have boycotted the course.
6)  Drivers need to know when to give up on a run (and how do they
learn?)

mlc
'91 MR2 NA
-----anything after this, I didn't write, and don't necessarily agree