Re: Ayer NT: B course, first slalom

To: autox@autox.team.net, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ayer NT: B course, first slalom
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:18:28 EDT
Mark,

I did see the shorter distance wisdom in heading to the right on the
slalom entry...  but decided against it for only one reason:  I'd have had
to lift to make the offsets after the slalom.  Instead, I chose to enter on
the left, as it allowed me to run from the START to the far end of the runway
flat out, rowing the shift lever 5 times.

For those not in attendance, by my admittedly inaccurate pacing method,
I estimated 1000 ft. of uninterrupted acceleration.  Bending a kart through
a slalom and offsets does produce enough scrub to reduce the actual
speed gain, so it was not like running a straight drag in terms of top speed,
but it was really fast!

I meant to take a G-Cube and Palm setup to record my runs, and really
wished I had, as the surface at Ayer had very few bumps which would have
caused any funny spikes to appear on the results.

Anyway, for what I drive, the momentary pause in acceleration would have
easily negated any time gained by shortening the distance.  During run #2
on that course, I had to lift and downshift to 5th in the offsets coming back
because I got sideways (driver input error).  I figured that alone cost me at
least a full second, probably more...

Alan Sheidler