Re: Calling all technical gurus! (non-autox content follows)

To: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Subject: Re: Calling all technical gurus! (non-autox content follows)
From: David Rowney <daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:06:12 -0700
Back in the 1970's I was driving through the Andes in Bolivia in a Datsun
pickup.  The road was typical, dirt/rock in horrible condition.  We got a
hole in the gas tank.  I had some epoxy puddy, and tried to apply it, but
with gas dripping out, it wouldn't stick. We stopped in a tiny village,
with one store, for help.  Guy running the store goes in the back, grabs a
bar of home-made soap, and a handful of llama wool from a bin.  Smashes it
all together in a pan of water until soft and mixed.  Then he grabbed a
handful of the stuff and smeared all over the area of the tank  with the
hole (even as gas was dripping out).  The drips slowed to a trickle and
_almost_ stopped.  Drove another 1000 miles or so on those roads with this
patch in place, and only an occasional drop of gas escaping!