Re: Lies and SM

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lies and SM
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:04:03 -0400
Brian C Knoblauch <bluemr2@juno.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see SM go national...  However, I'd also like to be eligible
> for it!!!  SM seems to embody the principle that I have had in mind with
> my car as I (very) slowly add new "toys" to it...  But, I'm not allowed
> to play there, snif, snif...

I assume you've got a 2-seater or one of the cars on the exclusion list....

One of the things on my political agenda for Nationals is to hit the SEB +
King Howie for "BSM", which is to be the SM rules with a different
eligibility requirement. "BSM" will be open to 2-seaters, "sports car
based" cars, and the oddballs on the current SM exclusion list.

Having SM and BSM (I'm still not entirely sure about that naming
convention, but whatever) will:

1) Give the 2-seaters and excluded cars a place to play
2) Get the aforementioned off my *%%$#@!! back
3) Gives us a place to punt overdog SM cars

Not to mention that slow BSM cars could be punted to SM.

At one point I thought we'd need a "CSM" as well, but SM has turned out to
be pretty well fair to everyone so far. Nobody - once they run against the
cars - has been bitching, not even on the SM list. We tend to get newbies
expressing suprise about having to run against Supras, but then they see
the results, and it's all good.

Now, creating BSM is contingent on SM gaining National status - there is no
point in asking for more classes if the one you already have isn't stable.
Baby steps and all that. If you want to see "SM for two seaters" the best
way to get it is to drag an SM car to Nationals. Bring a friend!

Yes, SM ***IS*** running at Nationals. I have that from Howard hisself.
What isn't determined yet is exactly how we will be treated - National
class, "supplimental" class, or as part of EM with some extra trophies.
That decision is contingent on the number of entries recieved. So far,
there are 7 SM cars signed up for Nationals. We've been told that 15 is the
"magic" number which may get us full-on Nationals status. I want 101 - I
want to beat CP. :)

DG