Inexpensive Tow Vehicles

To: Derek Butts <pnc1@earthlink.net>, teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Inexpensive Tow Vehicles
From: Rob Foley <RobertJFoley@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:21:18 -0400

I am sure this subject has been discussed many times but I am looking
for a good tow vehicle for under $12k.  A pickup truck with extended cab
and two wheel drive is what I would prefer.  Are there any suggestions
on make, model, trans, gears etc???  Please include info on certain
models to avoid too.

=========================

I have always been partial to Ford trucks.  You didn't mention whether
compact or full size, but  I had no mechanical troubles towing since new in
an 88 Ranger 2.9 5 speed that I sold at 150,000 miles, and a 95 that I sold
at 80,000 that I wish I still had.  The 95 was a Supercab 4.0 with a 5
speed and a 3.55 8.8 limited slip, and also had the sport suspension option
with 235/60-15's.  Drove and towed way better than my current Explorer V8.
I have always pulled open trailers with a total weight of between 3500 and
4000 lbs.  Towing mileage was in the 14's.  Would pull 7% grades at 55 in
third, with lots of pedal left (though these were the Appalachians and not
the Rockies - no thin air).  Both trucks when sold still had original
clutches and trannys.  I don't think an automatic would have lasted the way
they were used.  Towing speed was usually 70-75.

The drivetrains on GM products are IMHO little too light duty until into
3/4 ton and 1 ton chassis.  Lots of stories of melted trannys (especially
automatics) and fried rear ends.

Dodges would probably do OK, and the Dakota is an interesting size, but
their automatic transmissions are not known for longevity.

For $12 grand, you should be able to find a decent  4.0 Ranger.  I would
say get the 5 speed.  The rear axle info is on a tab held on by one of the
rear cover bolts.  Ratio and if it's a slip willl be there.  Use a weight
distributing hitch, and away you go.

Rob Foley