Wagging the Dog

To: autocross <AUTOX@autox.team.net>, mr2 list <mr2-digest@mr2.com>
Subject: Wagging the Dog
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 13:08:04 -0700
You may recall my posting about this issue with my MR2 a while back.
Here is the latest.

A few weeks ago, we had an autocross in San Diego with a very
unfortunate course design feature. A semi-straight (fast 3rd gear) into
a sharp right hand turn, with the braking zone on a patch of bumpy
asphalt. The first time I did this, the entire back of my car was
airborne and hit with a bang. First noticeable result was a broken
exhaust mount. Second was an overheating issue that may or may not have
been related, but I think I lost some coolant. Third was the handling
problem.

I used some hoseclamps until I could get a new bracket made for the
exhaust. I topped off the coolant and that fixed the overheating. But I
could not figure out the handling problem. Driving down the road, on a
gentle turn, the back end of the car wanted to turn more than the front.
It would "wag" and then settle down. Really scary when going 80mph. I
checked everything I could and each mount and part seemed fine. I kept
having this vision of a moment of clarity when I found out what the
problem was, in the seconds before impact. :-)

There was only one thing left that I could not see, and that was the
side motor mounts. Yes...the impact had sheared both side mounts,
allowing the entire engine and tranny to slide sideways under turning.
This caused all kinds of interesting things to happen when it moves.

Thanks to all who wrote (and personally told) me advice. It was very
much appreciated.

Randy Enzo Chase
'91 MR2 N/A C/S "SPINS"