Another Tow Vehicle Search...

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another Tow Vehicle Search...
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:36:14 -0600
Hi all,

        I'm looking for suggestions on makes and models for a reasonably
(<<20k)
priced tow vehicle that will also have to serve double duty as a daily
driver. Something that won't be in the shop constantly, something new
enough that it's not likely to become a shop denizen in the near future,
and that will be easy enough to drive on a daily basis (gas consumption is
starting to become a concern, but not really desperate right now).

        Requirements are simple enough, it's got to be able to comfortably tow
4,000 lb payload, in the summer, with the A/C going nice and cold. Room for
four adults is a requirement, so the SUV thing is more likely than a pick
'em up. I've been told that the V6 suggestions may be too fragile for
frequent towing, and that tranny problems will arise. I'm still not too
sure about a manual for towing, but I have little experience in this arena
so I put the question to al of you experienced "haulers" out there.

        I'd like to hear pros and cons for anything that you may have had
experience with. I'm already getting set for a purchase, this will happen,
but I don't want to get stuck with the wrong truck...

Recommendations I've gotten so far:

GM: Blazer/Jimmy
GM: Tahoe/Yukon (95+)
GM: 1/2 ton Suburban