Re: Another Tow Vehicle Search...

To: jhadler@rmi.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another Tow Vehicle Search...
From: "John Gross" <jogross3@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 05:29:52 PDT
>Recommendations I've gotten so far:
>
>GM: Blazer/Jimmy

I've towed heavy loads with an Explorer before, and it gets to the point (at
least in Texas, w/ passengers and A/C) where it isn't pretty.  Your weight
distribution has to be pretty good, otherwise the truck will get pushed all
over the road by the as-heavy or heavier towed load.

>GM: Tahoe/Yukon (95+)
>GM: 1/2 ton Suburban

These suck gas like there's no tomorrow.

>Jeep: Cherokee 4.0, Grand Cherokee V8.

Well, if you want to go in between here, my dad's old '97 Grand Cherokee 4.0
had serious problems towing a 3200 lb camper.  Admittedly, some of that was
due to the air resistance, but I don't think you want to tow everywhere in
3rd gear at 10 mpg.

>Toyota: Tacoma based 4-Runner.
>Ford: Exploder

See above under Blazer

>Peterbuilt... :-)

Hey, if you've got the money, just go for the whole 18-wheeler rig.
Peterbilt's making a new tractor that makes 640 hp and 2080 ft-lbs w/ and 18
spd gearbox.  Ah, the joys of seeing companies advertise on a college campus
  ;-)

Anyhow, right now, my dad's currently got a Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500 Cummins
5-spd, LWB, 2WD.  The power is unbelievable (the same camper that pushed the
Grand Cherokee around isn't noticeable behind this thing), it gets 20 mpg
towing said load, A/C blows nice and cold, Quad Cab is big enough in back
for fairly large people (I'm 5'8" and fit fairly well back there), and the
sound insulation is great.  Someone said the other day that it's good enough
for you to be able to enjoy the Infinity Sound system, and they're right.
Other than the fact that the truck is a LWB truck, it's pretty good for
daily driving also.  The 5-spd is bullet-proof and clutch effort is as light
as my (thankfully gone) '89 Mustang 4-banger.  3.55 posi is kinda fun too
;-)