Re: "used" S 2000, just wondering...

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "used" S 2000, just wondering...
From: "Richard Rees" <greyhawke@home.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:34:51 -0500
Actually, I wanted a Miata originally.  Unfortunately, they don't make them
in my size.  I got into one at an auto show, (the anniversary edition
model), and realized I HAD to steer with my knees, because they were tightly
pressed against the steering wheel with the seat all the way back.  I did
fit in the BMW M roadster, and that was my first choice until the S2K came
out at 10 grand less.

As far as catching the miatas, several autocrossers across the country have
turned in first in event times.  However, this result is as subjective as
comparing my novice times to those of experienced B-stockers.  I suppose the
question(s) should be:

Is the A-stock index a "harder" index than a B-stock or C-stock (I don't
mean lower or higher, I mean easier to be competitive.  For example, G-stock
from what I've heard had an easy index last year and has been adjusted)?

Is the course at an event a "torquey" course, lots of accel and decel, or is
it a fast course?  In the former, the Miata will have an edge given its
torque to weight ratio, in the latter the s2k's big gears and VTEC will give
it a small edge.  Corollary:  Does the course permit the s2k to spend most
of its time in VTEC or close to it?

This of course, assumes identical twin drivers in skill, with identical
familiarity with their cars in an ideal universe.  Or perhaps a lighter
driver in the s2k (110lbs) and a more muscular fellow (250lbs) in the
Miata...n/m...

R/
Torqueless Wonder #5602