Re: was: Stupid cone tricks, now: DNF?

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: was: Stupid cone tricks, now: DNF?
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:31:14 -0400
Mark Sirota wrote:

...>>I maintain that since he never crossed the line defined by the first
and second cones with pointers, regardless of the fact that the first
was part of a gate, means that he was off course.  Others apparently
say that since he backtracked physically upstream of the first "real"
slalom cone, he went far enough back.

In the end, it didn't matter -- whether or not he was off course, he
was nine seconds behind after looping around like this, so naturally
he lost the round (he spun off on the other side and DNF'ed anyway).
But it's an interesting academic exercise...
<<

Mark is correct. I was working the left course (the run was on the right
course)
at station 1 which was nearest to the gate in question. Mark's diagram and
description are 100% accurate. While technically his first course DNF should
have eliminated the second run, Howard wisely decided that since he was 9
seconds behind and the workers on that side could not decide in a limited
amount of time if it really was a DNF that letting Alan run the other side
was academic.

Regards,
Alan