Re: Higher entry fees/Participation/Elitism

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Higher entry fees/Participation/Elitism
From: The Narbys <narby@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:29:19 -0500

TeamZ3@aol.com (hope he has a sense of humor) wrote (maybe after reading
only one line of my post):

> narby@centurytel.net writes:
>
> << Raising entry fees to reduce participation is elitism, and with no
>  foundation. >>
>
> Really?
>
> Gee, I thought it was called CAPTALISM and was the very foundation of
> American society and democracy.

Wierd - when I read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution
I didn't see anything in there about pricing people out of a sport...

This is (supposedly) a not for profit club. Capitalism shouldn't apply.

Ever heard of a poll tax? That was a way of keeping poor people
(especially poor black people) from voting in the great American
Democracy. It was this thing where they made people pay to do something
(ostensibly to do something they had an "inalienable" right to do), so
only rich people could do it.

> Wow, you learn something new everyday.  :-)

Maybe two things some days. ;-) And every day is two words....so maybe
three.

My point was that the amount of money a person can spend is irrelevant to
their value to the club.

> M Sipe

Doug (I told you I was an educator) Narby