Online Registration (was RE: Peru entry list)

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Online Registration (was RE: Peru entry list)
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:11:08 -0700
We've done online registration for the past three events (this year and
last). I wrote the software. I've done a number of registration systems
prior to that. People who are online generally seem to like the idea.
However, you still need to provide a registration method for the minority of
autocrossers who don't have internet access.

We used PayPal to do online payment for our last event. Due to all the
referall fees, it made it possible for many people to just pay 5$ for the
event. Biggest problem was that it isn't smoothly integrated into our
registration system... I didn't have time to write the code necessary to do
that.

Also, in events where you have an entry limit (our last one did), you need
to make sure you are recording times of online or offline entries.

There are some opportunities (and challenges) to provide automated
registration/notification when someone decides not to go, in order to make
it possible for as many people on the waiting list to go as possible. These
items can go a long way in making the event limit problem less of a problem.

The no show problem/work assignment/run group size problems can also be
handled with online registration and automated notifications. Last year I
had people choosing their own work assignments online. This year I went to a
request/moderated type of system, but it wasn't fully worked out when we had
to go live. Still, I had constantly automatically updated web pages with
numbers of drivers in each class, what work assigments they requested, and
some other bells and whistles. The payment status I had to manually update
because I didn't have time to do the integration work, but it's not rocket
science.

I was moderately happy with how all of this went for our last event, but it
still needs some work (One issue ... I didn't plan for the possibility that
a huge number of people would run Street Tire when it decided to rain all
day).