Re: Yet another sport on the verge of elitism...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Yet another sport on the verge of elitism...
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:08:13 -0400
"Mark Radelow" <radelow@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But one of the beauties of Solo II is that it is
> cheap, fun, and is open to everyone.

Uhhh... I can think of hundereds of other sports that fit this bill. None
of them are _motorsports_, mind you, but I think I could go golfing for a
whole lot less than it takes to run a season of ProSolo. And last I
checked, softball was pretty cheap.

> If you are going to limit who can join
> what events and in what order they may join AND increase the prices, you
go
> away from what this sport is all about.

Not at all. We're not talking about local events here - Tours and Pros are
the (current) Major Leagues of this sport. It's as close to the "big time"
as we have. And it's nowhere near big enough for me. I want to make my
living doing autocross (stop laughing Roger) and the sport isn't "finished"
until it's possible for me - or at least for a regular group of "someones",
if one chooses to believe that my personal talent is lacking - to do just
that.

> Call me crazy but this is grassroots motorsports.

...and nobody is trying to take that away from anybody.

> None of us are professionals

Yet....

> and simply don't have the right to say who can and can't race.

Why not?

What's wrong with a series (or an event, or whatever) that would require
some form of qualification before you're allowed to play? Isn't that what
the Runoffs are? As long as the criteria for qualification are open and
fair, what does it hurt anyone?

I would have NO problem at all, for example, with there being a big-money,
televised Super ProSolo Challenge Event, that was a runoff of the top 32
(or 64, or 16, or whatever) in ProSolo Challenge points. In fact, I think
that'd be awesome. I wanna see little die-cast replicas of my car for sale
in the mall, dammit! :)

The higher the upper levels are, the more reward there is for hard work and
dedication, and the more satisfaction from trying to obtain that level of
performance. Raising the bar offers no downside.

However, I would agree in that I'd prefer to see the bar raised by adding
more events to the calendar, rather than trying to make what we already
have more exclusive.

DG.