Re: NT/participation - It's the math, stupid!!

To: "Erik Van-der-Mey" <autox@webcentrix.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NT/participation - It's the math, stupid!!
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:37:37 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Erik Van-der-Mey <autox@webcentrix.net>

<big snip>

> 948 runs x 40 sec = 10.53 hrs + 1 hr btwn heats = 11.53 hrs (8am to
7:32pm)
> 948 runs x 35 sec =  9.22 hrs + 1 hr btwn heats = 10.22 hrs (8am to
6:13pm)
> 948 runs x 30 sec =  7.9  hrs + 1 hr btwn heats =  8.90 hrs (8am to
4:55pm)
> 948 runs x 25 sec =  6.58 hrs + 1 hr btwn heats =  7.58 hrs (8am to
3:35pm)
> 948 runs x 20 sec =  5.27 hrs + 1 hr btwn heats =  6.27 hrs (8am to
2:16pm)

<snip>

Math is good stuff, can't argue with it (at least until it gets disproved
:-)).

In my experience (28 years, many course designs and event master), with a
good crew in timing, you can put a car out every 20-25 seconds, assuming the
course safely allows it.  And with someone who know how to run the timing
equipment, it's not usually necessary to red flag the whole course if
someone spins and goes.  Yes, there will always be unforseen things happen
once in a while and you should allow some time for this. I know tours have
more operational "overhead" than regional events, but this could probably be
streamlined some, too.  Are times still manually entered into the computer?
If so, we need to move into the 21st century.  With software like AutoX
(others are probably good, too, AutoX is the only one I've used) which
connect directly to the timer and can generate everthing from results to run
group and work group lists and is designed to work best with pre-entry type
events, there should be no reason to do manual entry. I think 300 is a
reasonable limit.

Rick Brown