Was: Peru NT course concerns- now Internet required?

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Was: Peru NT course concerns- now Internet required?
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:18:52 -0400
Paul wrote:

>I have a concern about disseminating this information online before
>the event. Is a course map being provided ahead of time to all those
>who registered? Or are requiring an internet account to be competitive
>from now on?

>Paul Foster

Paul,

First of all you are asking a web-enabled audience to discuss its necessity
(kinda like giving the bank robber the combination to the vault?)

Second, I think a vast majority of our sport is web-enabled. I say this
based on two admittedly limited observations. 1) our RE who is very
anti-technology recently purchased a computer and is now on the web. We joke
that now all our communications can be on the web because, "even John has
web access"
2) At the driver's meeting at our auto-x last Sunday I asked if anyone
needed printed results or if web results were good enough. No one asked for
them.

Third, I think that we already do "require" web access already. No one
snail-mailed the ProSolo results to me. If I want them I have to go to the
web to get them.

Fourth, what a wingey, whiney subject to bring up. Is it really a
competitive advantage to have a course diagram days in advance? Are any of
the disadvantaged complaining? Or do you feel so guilty that you and a few
thousand other priviledged web-types have this secret knowledge that you
feel the need cry "mea culpa" publicly? Really.....<sigh>

Regards,
Alan