SCCA Taxicab Confessions (was Re: hassled by The Man)

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: SCCA Taxicab Confessions (was Re: hassled by The Man)
From: Todd Green <tag@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:14:49 -0600
>Some taxi cab drivers are terrific. Ah, I remember getting a taxi cab ride in

A few months ago I had just flown back into town and was getting a taxi
ride from a guy who looked like he'd be more at home riding broncs than
driving in a car.  Anyway, I noticed that he was left foot braking and I
asked the Marlboro Man if he raced cars.  He started to get excited and
asked me how I knew (duh!).  Turned out that he does circle tracks.

So we start talking about racing and he just keeps getting wound up more
and more.  Finally I guess he considered me safe enough to be let in on
his little secret.  He pulls a jury rigged Playstation from underneath
the front seat with Gran Turismo loaded on it.  Nice..

The only problem is that he got so excited that he had driven me about
13 blocks north and 5 blocks west of my house before I felt obliged to
remind him of where my house is located (SLC is on a grid, so it is
pretty hard to miss 11th E and 11th S ;)

He felt so bad, that he decided to get me back home at mach 9.  Anyone
who's familiar with SanFran knows what the "Ave's" are like in SLC, and
were pulling a Ronin racing down them to get to my house, the whole way
he's jabbering on about his racing technique etc.  (I still can't get
the pro rodeo image out of my mind and am just waiting for the spurs to
come flying out of the front seat along with the Playstation.)

Definitely one of my more interesting cab rides,
Todd