Re: Thankyou / 1st Nationals Memories

To: goodale7 <goodale7@gateway.net>
Subject: Re: Thankyou / 1st Nationals Memories
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 13:26:07 -0500
goodale7 wrote:

> New subject.  What do you remember from your 1st nationals.

Well said, Jon.

Though I've been an SCCA member since '85, I didn't attend my first
Tire Rack Solo II Nationals until '97. And, then, I didn't bring the
Mini.  I just flew up to KC, rented a car, and drove to Topeka so I
could write for SportsCar, NAP, and the daily Nationals Rag - AND so I
could be a part of the 25th Anniversary Nationals. I had an absolute
hoot and wished, every day, that I'd brought the Mini.  So I was back
in '98 - WITH the Mini this time, even though I knew I was going to
get my butt dusted.  Sure enough, I finished DFL in DP.  But, again, I
had an absolute hoot while I was there - even did a stupid Cajun joke
skit for the talent show.  I was all set to go again in '99 until an
emergency came up at work and I had to cancel at the last minute.
You'd better believe that, the Good Lord willin' and the creek don't
rise, (that's what Hank Williams used to say on the old Louisiana
Hayride!!) I'll be back this year!  8<{)

BTW, as a radio news guy for the past quarter-plus century, I've
developed a tremendous amount of respect for those of you who wear the
badge.  I was asked, by I don't even know how many members of our
local Police Department, to be a member of the first local Citizens'
Police Academy, which I gladly accepted.  I've helped teach Media
Relations classes for more rookie Police Academy classes than I care
to count.  I've ridden with officers on their daily beat.  I've taken
a "shove-it" (Chevette) mobile news unit out to the state fairgrounds
on several occasions to compete with the rookies in their Crown Vics
when they're going through the driver training portion of the
academy.  We've run Law Enforcement challenge events at some of our
local autocrosses.  And on and on and on.  Yet I'll be the FIRST to
report on any sort of wrongdoing within any of our local Police or
Sheriff's Departments.  It's really a sort of mutual admiration
society that we've developed among ourselves.  Basically, it boils
down to:  You do the job, and I'll be on your side - you cross the
line, and I'll nail your *ss to the wall!!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman