1st Nationals Memories

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 1st Nationals Memories
From: Mari L Clements <mrndr2@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:13:41 -0400
On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 13:26:07 -0500 John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
writes:
> goodale7 wrote:
> >
> > New subject.  What do you remember from your 1st nationals.

That's easy!  (Helps that my first Nationals was only last year.)

I had already heard Randy Chase's warning that it's huge, and I thought I
understood what that meant, but...it's *really* huge.  I think my eyes
were the size of saucers all week.

I didn't drive well the first day (learned the hard way the value of
checking the audit to see where I hit that cone so *maybe* I could
actually avoid it on a subsequent run), and the car broke the second
day--leaving me with memories that *still* choke me up.  Teresa Neidel's
mother ripped the "Automotive" page out of the program and people gave me
quarters so I could frantically call all over Topeka looking for a new
shift cable while Eric drove the North (a/k/a, the power course) in
second gear from start to finish.  Several guys took over pushing Eric to
the line when my poor abused hamstring said enough, leaving me sitting
down *really* hard in grid.  When it became obvious that something was
wrong with our car, I had offers from all over the CS grid for a loaner
ride.  Autoxers are really nice people.

And I will never forget the talent show.  I was really, really nervous,
but then people laughed at my take-off on Shania Twain's "That Don't
Impress Me Much" (So you know more rules than Howard Duncan--That don't
impress me much...).

mlc
'91 MR2 NA
-----anything after this, I didn't write, and don't necessarily agree