More on Sequential classes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Sequential classes
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:56:27 -0400
>From: rjohnson@friendlynet.com
>Subject: Sequential Stock Classes

Roger sez:

>Simplicity?  Look at the organization you love so well - NCCC.
>They just reduced the number of a-x classes for only Corvettes from
>74 to 62.  Talk about splitting hairs. . . . .

I'm not sure what this has to do with the discussion about SCCA
sequential classing. BTW, I'm not wild about NCCC classing, either. A
marque club's needs are different from SCCA.

>This concept would have F-Bodies in 7 of the 9 Stock classes.  Miatae in
>4 or 5.  Corvettes in 5 or 6.  Mustangs in 6 or 7.  Even your beloved
>914 would be in 4 classes.

I doubt they would be that spread out, but if owners of all those
different models would have a competitive place to play, what is the
harm?

>Then do the splits with a couple of hundred other cars, and see
>how easy it is.  In fact, if this is such a great idea, why not take
>a shot at it??

OK, I'll toss another hand grenade into this discussion. I think TRUE
sequential classification would shorten the long list of classes we have
now. How about sequential classes for all stock, street touring and
street prepared category cars? Before you hit the <delete> key, think
about this.

If you take a long hard look at Topeka run times between classes you will
see that some of the faster stock classes are quicker than some of the
mid to lower SP times. The same goes for STS, STR and SM. We could still
have the ST, SM, SP preparation rules but class the cars according to
their autocross potential spread over, say 14 classes. This would cut
down the number of Stock, Street Touring/SM, Street Prepared classes from
18 down to 14.

Now, sort the Stock preparation cars into the 10 bottom classes. Then
adjust upwards or downwards for cars that are prepared to ST, SM or SP
allowances. Heck, we could even throw the Ladies classes into this mix by
dropping them down a class if they want to declare as Ladies competitors
(the only flaw in that idea is that the lowest class car declared into
Ladies wouldn't have a class to run in unless we added a 15th ladies only
class). That would lower the current number of classes in the 3
categories from 36 to 14 or 15.

Obviously, this idea is too radical and won't be seriously considered by
the SEB or this list, for that matter. However, I will take a stab at
putting all those cars in the current proposal onto a list to see what
y'all think, just for giggles (I KNOW this ain't going to happen). I'll
get back to everyone.

Fire away!!!

Ben Thatcher
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports