Re: Playing to win

To: washburn@dwave.net
Subject: Re: Playing to win
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 07:18:59 -0700
washburn wrote:

> There are many people that just don't
> know what they are missing because they won't try it.

I've been there - finished mid-pack a few years back in D Stock with a 1995 240
SXSE
the first day, and then had a major brain fart to sink down day two. That car
BTW is
now E Stock. It (and me) did beat a certain 'early 90's BMW' at a western
Divisional in
D Stock a few years ago.

> Fully 75 precent
> of the entrants would not be there if having a chance at first place was
> the pre-requisite.  Of course you will never actually know where you
> stand unless you take a big chance and go, so I guess you will always be
> the big fish in the little pond.

See the above. I've also won a few "medium-pond" Divisionals with a Neon, MGB,
240SXSE.
Does that make me a medium fish in a medium pond?

> This is a very sad attitude and I'm
> sorry that we won't see you at any of the bigger events.

Again, see the above. And since when is it a 'sad attitude' to want to have a
chance at
winning?

> My guess is that even if you got what you want, which is a "pure stock"
> class allowing absolutely no changes from as delivered condition, and
> you were in the hot car for the class, you would not go anyway because
> you will run up against talent.

I've beaten or run with some decent talent in the past - still do. I suggest
that you
stay far away from market investments with your current prediction record  :-)

Talent is no problem. That is a challenge.

I'll try to make this clear to you again - with the current skewed Stock Class
rules
(IMO) there will be in many classes much less of a chance to have a shot at the
top -
define what that is to you. Since I've beaten good drivers before, I like to
think that
I have a chance when I compete. I also know that there is a reason that some
spend
$4000+ for shocks on a stock vehicle - because it helps! It helps a lot. Does it
guarentee anything?  No. Does it give a significant edge? Make your own
judgement.

You must live closer than 1800 miles to Topeka, huh?

> Your welcome to co-drive my car anytime
> you feel you can make an event.  Again...sorry to hear that you won't
> play unless you can win.

There are some who are happy with just running their car with no chance at
trophy.
There are many more who just like the camaraderie and enjoy the experience.
There are
some who, in addition, also crave a chance at "the top". There are many reasons
to go
the the big shows. Your reasons are no more or less valid than mine. Do not try
paint me as anyone less worthy than you because we view competition somewhat
differently.

I'll say it again - it is my view there would be many more willing to try the
larger
events if the *perception* of having a chance were stronger. In many ways and
for many
folks, perception is reality. I know that I would have less of a chance against
a car
prepped to the hilt under the current rules. If this were not true, hey, then
eliminate
those variances since it doesn't matter anyway! No loss, right?  :-)

Try this one out - Stock would be just as much fun without the current allowed
modifications. Fathom that for a while....

Hope to see you at some of the Western Divisionals - and you can even drive
*my* car!

Scott Meyers
CS RX-7
Making progress in C Stock and having fun