Re: Police The issue...off subject

To: ewc4@juno.com
Subject: Re: Police The issue...off subject
From: jon e prevo <tcbracer@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:20:38 -0500

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:30:00 -0400 Eric W Clements <ewc4@juno.com>
writes:
> Speaking of "serve and protect", why don't cops stop to help when
> your
> broken down on the side of the highway?
>
> EC

An officer told me one time that (this particular department's) policy
was that making an "unnecessary contact" would put the officers at risk
of random violence and therefore they could only go so far as to push a
dead car out of the street into a safer area.  That department several
years later went on an "ambush day" where long-term traffic warrants were
closed out by massive numbers of cops broke down doors all over town at
5:00 am.  In one arrest attempt, the startled "criminal" came out of bed
shooting...1 officer, 2 civilians dead.

Undue risk.

Jon FP 73