Re: sequential list by car or class?

To: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Subject: Re: sequential list by car or class?
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:08:59 -0500
Ben Thatcher wrote:

> Pat,
>
> I guess you took too quick a look at my post. There are BIG changes
> proposed in there. Shrinking the number of classes in Stock, Street
> Touring and Street Prepared from 34 to 16 by putting ladies into the next
> lower class. Putting all 3 categories (S, ST and SP) in the same
> continuum isn't simply sorting by class PAX. What this does is set up the
> template by which the SEB could start moving cars up and down classes in
> the future.

Well, I did and I didn't.  I did not initially notice the reduction and
combining of classes.  I will have to study that a little.  What I meant
mostly was that by classing cars individually, you start to get a much
more complex picture.  You still have fast and slow cars within classes
together.

As an example, let's say an underdog car in AS is slower than the top CS
cars.  I would then expect to see the AS car classed below the CS car in
the sequential listing.  You still have it classed in the faster class;
it's still lumped with it's AS bretheren therefore it hasn't really been
sequentially classed.  (by car, that is)  Hope that made some kind of
sense!

I figured the object of challenging someone to come up with a true
sequential classing structure was to demonstrate that a sequential
listing of *cars*, not classes, was of a magnitude of difficulty as to
be almost impossible.

> Going in and moving cars around from the current class structure would be
> a waste of time. Any kind of adjustments like that should be done on a
> committee basis. The SEB is very well suited for that task.

Again, I guess that's what I thought we were talkig about: classing cars
sequentially as was suggested by someone.  Maybe I got that wrong, but I
think you agree that moving individual cars in a sequential list and
then applying a class structure to that would not be feasible.  I really
don't care what the classing works out to.  If I get a bug to win big
enough, I will just have to get whatever car is needed to do the job.
Nothing different than what we have now.  If I'm not that hung up on
winning at all costs, then I'm no worse off either way since I'm just
doing it for the thrill and fun anyway.  Either way, class them wherever
you want, just tell me with enough advance notice.  Thanks!

Pat