CS classing

To: jmoore@spyglass.com, Autox List Nationals <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: CS classing
From: Andy McKee <andrewmckee@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:26:24 -0700 (PDT)
>        [Moore, John]  This is not exactly out of spec with the class, but
>before anyone reacts, hear me out. The curb weight of my 93 MR2 is 2775. The
>91 and 92 are 2705 according to the factory specs. The curb weight of an 86
>fiero GT, as an example is 2778.
>                My 93 MR2 has 135 HP@5400, 145ft-lb@4400, the 91/92 have
>only 130 HP@5400 and 140ft-lb@4400. The Fiero on the other hand has
>140HP@5200 and 170ft-lbs@3600.
>                The MR2 has 0-60 numbers of 8.5 seconds. The V6 Fiero is in
>7.5.

What curb weights are you using for the MR2's?  Printed numbers?  My old '91 CS
MR2 weighed in at 2599 at the scales in Topeka.  That's with A/C, PS, power
package, sunroof (removed), and stock wheels.  Now, if that sounds light, I
know that Kevin Bailey and Mike Eckert's hardtop cars came in under 2500lbs
with the deletion of A/C and PS (and other options).  Stick some light weight
wheels on those cars (yes, I know they're a tad hard to come by) and you could
probably have a CS MR2 in the 2450-2475lb neighborhood.  I actually think a
good car for CS, if you can find one, would be a '95 hardtop since they benefit
from all the model improvements, you can find available light wheels, and tend
to be a bit lighter than equivalent equipped '93's.

I don't know if you can use factory specs for curb weight when comparing two
different manufacturers' cars, as it may not be an apples to apples comparison.
 Put the Fiero on some scales and see what the reality is.

-Andy

http://mail.yahoo.com/