Re: Real TV autocross accident clip

To: "John Lieberman" <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Subject: Re: Real TV autocross accident clip
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:12:09 -0500
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>

>I, too, have been told by others since my original post that it was
>not an NCCC-sanctioned event, either.  So I certainly stand corrected
>there.  I guess that I mis-understood some of the related posts.
>However, the bottom line is that it was DEFINITELY not an
>SCCA-sanctioned event!!  Yet we can still learn from it.

Yes.  My only reason in the first place for bringing up the possible club
involvement was the question by (someone) regarding whether SCCA's legal
department could sue Real TV for libel or slander or whatever.  My point was
that since Real TV did not identify this event with SCCA, SCCA would have a
hard time showing that they had been damaged.

As a member of a non-SCCA club, I have pointed out before that what is done
by any autocross club, and indeed, the use of the word "autocross" for
events that did not deserve that designation, affects all of us.   Here is
an event (which may not even have been run by a regular autocross club)
which has by association given all of us a black eye as safety-ignorant
idiots.  So I get back on my soapbox again:  If you are at an event, any
event, my club included, and there is some safety problem, no matter how
small, speak up.  If they call you a crybaby, have a thick skin and explain
your concerns.  In the legal climate of this country, we are just one
disaster away from losing the sport forever.  And the problem is not going
to stop at club lines.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green