Re: Real TV autocross accident clip

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Real TV autocross accident clip
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:58:32 -0500
WOW!  That hurts just looking at it.  Most of my thoughts after
viewing that clip have already been stated by others, so I won't
repeat them.  I would, however, offer a couple of observations.

First, for those of us who are Solo Safety Stewards, it's our
responsibility to ensure the safety of spectators, drivers, and
workers.  We should always make sure that course workers are on their
feet at all times when cars are running and that they're positioned in
the safest location we can put them.  I, myself, know of at least one
occasion when a course worker has been seriously hurt by a car and
I've, personally, been chased all over a course by a wayward MR2.

Second, as a member of the National Solo Safety Committee, I can tell
you that we're deeply concerned about SCCA "incident" video being
posted on the Internet or otherwise distributed BEFORE the official
investigation into that incident is complete.  As a broadcast
journalist for more than a quarter of a century, I can't tell you not
to do it.  It's your First Amendment right to say or post whatever you
want to.  However, in my position on the SSC, I can at least ask you
to wait until the official investigation is over before doing so.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman