RE: Progressing from stock (was: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculo

To: "Ax List (E-mail)" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Progressing from stock (was: Fair Classing for everybody is ridiculous?)
From: "Eric Buckley" <ejbuckley@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:51:46 -0500

msmith2 wrote:

> Keep in mind that the wheels and the fancy-schmancy intake for fuel
> injection (and all the $$$ that went into it) that you used for Street
> Prepared needs to be exchanged with the allowed wheel sizes
> and a carburetor
> setup for the "progression" into Prepared.

Part of my point was that you don't have to go there. That's part of what SM
was created for. My real point was that you don't have to drop a fortune and
trick the car to the limit of the rules. I'm nowhere near what STR allows,
but I'm having a great time and doing just as well as I did in stock.

> I believe the point was that there is no 'what's legal for
> SP, is legal for
> Prepared' like there is from Stock to SP.
>
> Now, if you replace SP with SM, that goes away. However, the
> problem still
> exists for those who use slicks and weight removal to go
> faster without
> going hog-wild in D/EMod.

When you cross from the street categories to the race categories you are
fundamentally altering the purpose of the car. I don't think a natural
progression exists.

As for the comment about road racing a supercharged car, obviously I'd have
to ditch the blower. Compared to the other costs of road racing, selling off
a supercharger at a $1.5K loss is pretty insignificant.

Besides, perhaps the SM concept will spread to road racing. Stranger things
have happened.

Eric Buckley
7 STR: 98 Integra GS/R