Wendover Thanks

To: TeamDotNet <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wendover Thanks
From: Mike Shields <mshields@inconnect.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:32:57 -0600
I just wanted to let everyone know once again how great their fellow
autocrossers are.

This last weekend at Wendover I scored my first ever placing which
wasn't closer to the bottom of the pack than the top, never mind winning
the class. Everyone else in BS was incredibly supportive of me,
bascially a nobody, coming out and winning. I sort of worried that since
I didn't "put in my time" and work my way up the class there might be
some hard feelings, but I never felt anything like that and am a little
embarassed now to admit it.

I especially wanted to single out Jim Daniels for the help he gave me in
my short but sweet run in the challenge. Cleaning my tires, trying to
help keep me calm and focused, basically staying to see how I did. He's
been one of the friendliest people I've met while autocrossing and was
super supportive of me the whole weekend.  A huge thank you to you Jim.

This result is particularly special to me since last year I drove so
badly at the event (in my opinion) that I wondered just why I was trying
to succeed at the national level. To do what I did (which was over and
above my wildest dreams) at the same event a year later makes this first
win even more special.

I'm not very good at expressing myself and putting my thoughts down on
paper (or bits and bytes) so I hope everyone can understand how happy I
am to be involved in a sport like this.

Sincerely,

Mike Shields
54 BS